Every now and then someone from the Bnet forums actually produces good suggestions for Blizzard, check out this very detailed post by crazy_dave with suggestions on the issue of the MediVac/Medic/Marine/Reaper issue…
I wanted to centralize the list of suggestions that have been made so far so the devs/community knows what has been suggested. Since the fates of Medics, Reapers, and Medevacs appear to be linked, this list contains ideas for all three.
Right now I am hoping for blue response - who doesn’t? - at least giving us the current status of the three units or how to spell Medevac correctly, I’ve seen 3 different versions . I will keep bumping this thread and maybe we’ll get really lucky and get a response to our ideas as well.
Suggestions for Medics and Medevacs are in the first two sections.
Thoughts on how to decrease the power of Marines and Medics are in the section of the same name.
Ideas for improving the Reaper so he doesn’t need Medics, which many feel he shouldn’t, and/or for improving the Medic to help the Reaper abound in the “Reaper & Medics”, “Reaper suggestions...”, “Reaper Basic Weapons...” sections.
The last section is on the discussions/debates that have gone on in the thread.
Medic & Medevac
Recently added things are highlighted New!
I like the idea of a Medevac, though not necessarily at the expense of the Medic. However, why not have both serving distinct roles (like SCV and Nomad)?
1. Medevac could be an upgrade to the Dropship. It heals only units inside it slowly, but simultaneously and at no cost. It is also faster. Medics can be upgraded to “call” for an evac: Medic throws a beacon and the closest empty Medevac rushes in to pick units up around the beacon. (see post 10, “Medic and Medevac Resolution”, for a more detailed explanation and how it balances well with Medic) (crazy_dave post 10)
2. Gunship Upgrade to the Dropship.
3. Afterburner upgrade to Dropship. (Warlord 255 in Gunship thread)
4. Medevac is an upgrade to Dropship, but without changes to its current mechanic. (Alex06 - his thread contains several other ideas in the Reapers and Medics section as well)
5. Allow Medics to heal from Dropships like they can from bunkers. (same thread as 4)
6. Allow Bunkers to heal units inside. (theoblivion)
7. Nomad ability - construct healing turrets (smurfz)
Medevac/Dropship Suggestions from this thread
8. Give Protoss an equivalent to the proposed Terran evac ability using recall with unique building. Balancing discussed. (crazy_dave)
1. Have two upgrades for Dropships: One upgrades to Gunships. Second upgrades to Medevac. (XxXionsflame and crazy_dave, posts 15 and 17)
2. Medevac heals only units inside it and must land to do so. (FooFCraft post 24)
3. A third upgrade to choose from: Heavy Lifter upgrade (Diablo48 post 39)
4. Different units get “calls” for different upgraded Dropships (Diablo48 post 39)
5. Multiple Dropship carrying capacity. (xx)felipe(xx post 100)
Decreasing the power of Marines & Medics
1. Increase the energy cost of heal.
2. Decrease the speed of heal.
3. When Terran units enter the red, like buildings, they will loose health. If medic has run out of energy, or if vehicle and there is no scv/nomad to repair, then the unit will loose hp and die.
4. Medics can’t heal each other.
Reapers & Medics
1. Give Reapers Flare. This seems to be almost unanimous. This has been suggested on several threads by several people. This thread is a good reference.
2. Upgrade D8 charges - either more powerful or use of remote mine concept. See above link.
3. Allow Reapers to fire while moving. I think can be found here
4.a. Give Reapers regeneration to improve vitality.
4.b Repears getting health packs or a temporary boost of hp from medic. Ideas were embedded in a couple of the longer threads as well as this one.
5. In general, much can be done to improve the Reaper intrinsically including speed upgrades, damage upgrades, etc…
6. Medic Drone - Medic releases surgical drone that can fly. Will heal units farther away. Channeling spell.
7. Give Medics Jumpacks.
8. Give marines/ghosts jumpacks, change dropship dynamics.
9. Give Medics Droppods or EMP.
10. “Reaper Hopping”
11. Combine Reaper and Medic
12. Give Reapers stim packs.
Reaper Basic Weapons Summary
1. Submachine Gun - does aoe damage like current Colossus
2. Flamethrower - Firebat’s attack (numerous places, numerous people)
3. Marauder’s Grenade - bonus vs armor, aoe slowing (Rigmaroling post 63)
4. Hollow Point Bullet - bonus vs biological and/or single unit slowing (elchip)
5. Melee Attack (Lord-o-theFlies post 7)
Reaper Suggestions from this thread
1. Give the Reaper a flamethrower, but at a cost. When he uses his flamethrower, he sacrifices his ability to use the jetpack (less mobile). When he uses his pistols he is more mobile, but does less damage. Kinda like siege tank. (Tenebrae post 4)
2. Make the Reaper a melee unit who gets a first strike advantage against other melee units/other melee units can’t hit him. (Lord-o-theFlies post 7)
3. Allow the Reaper to jump over all obstacles (Antardis post 2, post 49)
4. Pillage upgrade to Reapers. (elchip post 3)
5. Sabotage ability on a building (i.e. sabotage on a detector building would temporarily remove detection, on a factory would temporarily make it so it can’t produce, on a refinery it would not produce/damage workers, etc ...) (SeraphXN post 14)
6. Silencer on weapons. (for Reaper or Ghost) (SeraphXN post 14)
7. Proximity mines. (SeraphXN post 14)
8. Using the jetpacks as weapons. (special attack) (SeraphXN post 14)
9. Lower number of infantry units (i.o.w. give Reapers a bigger role) (Rigmaroling post 63)
10. Make all Terran infantry available at Tier 1.5, but keep requirement for three different buildings for Medics, Reapers, and Ghosts. (crazy_dave post 64)
11. NEW! Give Reapers a version of lockdown
a) Essentially normal lockdown. (PodridoBastardo post 88)
b) Essentially a “stun grenade” http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.aspx?fn=sc2-general&t=815882&p=1&#post815882 (elchip)
Medic and/or Medevac (posts 20-23, 25, 41, 61)
Medevac as a high-tier upgrade (feedback as well as ideas) (posts 17, 24, 32, 39, 47)
Usefulness of the Reaper (posts 34 - 38, 43, 44, 47, 48, 52 - 55, 61, 62, 79 - 81)
Reaper and Heal (posts 26, 28, 41, 43, 44, 47)
Complete Terran Lineup and Tactics (posts 69 - 72, 74-75, 76)
There has been some support for the Medevac dropship as is. There also has been support to go back to the initial build without it or any of the above. Many of these are not mutually exclusive and can combined (even with the Medevac dropship) together. If there were any ideas I missed that you feel should be included or I didn’t put the right links down, then let me know. Also, feel free to post your own suggestions here.
To give a little more clarification why you would still use Reapers with Medivac Dropships rather than just dropping Marines:
1) Reapers are much faster for raiding. In dropping units (like Marines), there is a 1 second delay between each unit that is dropped. In that 8 seconds, to drop all 8 Marines, you can do a lot of damage with Reapers.
2) Reapers are anti-light units, making them very effective against resource collectors, Zealots, Zerglings, and even a Queen.
3) The Reapers’ mines are extremely effective at taking out buildings for quick hit and run tactics.
4) Reapers can ‘dance’ up and down cliffs to keep your enemies guessing when you’ll attack with little time delay, as opposed to loading and dropping Marines.
I hope that gives a little more insight behind the idea. Nonetheless, the ideas that the community is coming up with is great, and be assured that the Devs do read the feedback.Related Posts:
Who is Karune?
Karune on G4TV
PURE idiot - lamer of the week, again on Bnet